Local History Resources
Suburbs and Subdivisions within the City of Port Adelaide Enfield
Originally, grantees that were sold or allocated land sub-divided and named their property as they wished. In the 1940's it was decided to rationalise the number of subdivisions as there were too many. Councils were asked to consider and submit suburb names which were formally accepted by the Nomenclature Committee in 1951. The document below is compiled from information gathered from Manning's Place Names of South Australia : Aaron Creek to Zion Hill 2006 and lists each of the suburbs of the City of Port Adelaide Enfield and the subdivisions which have occurred within those suburbs.
Cemeteries of the City of Port Adelaide Enfield - Past
Alberton Cemetery - closed 1874
On November 17 1847 the Governor of South Australia granted 4 acres of Section 2300B in Alberton to St Paul’s Church of England for burials. The cemetery was closed to new burial plots in January 1874, with the last official burial conducted in 1922. The land was transferred to the City of Port Adelaide in 1938 and developed into a Park in 1994. The Park is located at the end of Parker Street, Alberton.
Enfield (Pioneer) Cemetery – closed 1961 (now PioneerPark)
The original EnfieldCemetery, located opposite St Clements Church on Main North Road, began in 1842. Lot 19 of Section 342 in the Hundred of Yatala in the Village of Enfield was set aside for a Cemetery. Purchasers of land within Section 342 were entitled to one or more gravesites. The Cemetery closed in 1961 and is now known as PioneerPark. A memorial plaque within the park lists the names of those known to have been buried there.
Klemzig (Old Lutheran) Cemetery
In 1838 German Lutheran immigrants escaping persecution, came to South Australia under the leadership of Pastor Augustus Kavel. They named the area in which they settled Klemzig after their home town in Prussia. Land was set aside for a school, a church and a cemetery for these pioneer settlers and their descendents. In 1983, by an Act of Parliament, the site of the former cemetery was set aside as a Pioneer Memorial Cemetery. A commemorative sculpture and a plaque listing the names of the pioneers buried in the cemetery were unveiled by Sir Donald Dunstan in 1988. The Pioneer Cemetery is situated on the corner of Second Avenue and Spring Grove Road, Klemzig.
Cemeteries of the City of Port Adelaide Enfield - Present
CheltenhamCemetery commenced operations as the Port Adelaide and SuburbanCemetery on July 27 1876. It was owned and operated by Port Adelaide Council from 1876 until 1987 when management transferred to the Enfield General Trust. In 2002 management of the Cemetery was transferred to the Adelaide Cemeteries Authority. Cheltenham Cemetery has also been known as the Woodville Cemetery.
Dudley Park Cemetery
The Dudley Park Cemetery, first known as the Islington Cemetery, was planned and developed by Robert Burdon a Preacher, Sunday School Superintendant, and Circuit Steward for the Primitive Methodist Church of Islington. with the first burial taking place on July 23 1864. The Burdon family managed the cemetery until 1899 when management was passed on to a Board of Trustees. The Trustees of Islington united with the Trustees of Payneham Cemetery on November 19 1912, becoming known as the Islington and Payneham Cemeteries Trust. In 1924 the name was changed to the Payneham and Dudley Park Cemeteries Trust.
Enfield (Evergreen Memorial) Cemetery
The Enfield Public Cemetery was established by a special Act of Parliament in 1944 for the purpose of establishing a Cemetery which embraces all religions. It is South Australia’s largest cemetery with 80 acres of land set aside for burials and Australia’s first lawnCemetery. The first burial took place in 1947.