Welcome to the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Website

Port Adelaide Enfield History Photo Gallery

Prev Next
Semaphore South

Semaphore South

Image: Turkeys being cared for by Walton in the gardens of Glanville Hall, Semaphore South c1900. Semaphore South was a private subdivision of section 887 in the Hundred of Port Adelaide and included the subdivisions of Saint Margaret’s, an 1876 subdivision of part section 1048 by George and Thomas Elder. The land was to be used for a convalescence home, named after Queen Margaret, a Scottish saint and Queen of Scotland, from where the Elder’s family came in Kirkaldy, Scotland; and Whitby, 1872 subdivision of part section 1049 by William Paxton who was born in Whitby, Yorkshire.